Hi, just letting you know that all products recommended here have been used by me, or are properly researched to ensure they are the best you are getting without bias.
I am also an affiliate for certain Amazon products and this means that some links here are affiliate links. If you purchase an item through any of them, I MAY earn a commission at no extra cost on you.
An aerogarden is a ready option for gardening outdoors since it gives you the chance to grow most of the plants you like within the confines of your home. Not to mention that it is associated with no stress or even strenuous physical demands but with faster results. There may be similarities in the types of plants grown whether through outdoor or indoor gardening, but the two systems of gardening have some differences as well.
If you are considering starting up your own aerogarden and wondering what exactly you can grow on it, this post is for you. I’ll share with you everything you can grow in an aerogarden, how to efficiently grow and harvest some plants on your own and even some valuable answers to some questions you may have about growing in your aerogarden.
Best 6 Aerogarden Seeds To Buy For Planting In 2021
In a hurry? Let me just share with you the best 6 aerogarden seed pods you can buy for planting in 2021 right away:
|Aerogarden 6 Salad Greens Mix Seed||See all||Check Price on amazon|
|7 AeroGarden Colorful Coleus Flower Seed Pod Kit||See all||Check Price on amazon|
|16,500 Non-GMO Heirloom Vegetable Seeds||See all||Check Price on amazon|
|Bulk Annual Wildflower Seeds Mix with Full Growing Guide||See all||Check Price on amazon|
|15,000 Non-GMO Heirloom Vegetable Seeds – Survival Garden 32 Varieties Pack||See all||Check Price on amazon|
|100% Non-GMO Heirloom Culinary and Medical Herb Kit||See all||Check Price on amazon|
What can you grow in an aerogarden?
The aerogarden can be used to grow most plants such as spices, vegetables, herbs and even weeds. Aerogardens can comfortably grow as many plants as can be contained in one device. As much as this device can come in very handy, you can mostly grow those little things you grow in your outdoor garden.
What can you not grow in an aerogarden?
Even though there are a lot of things you can grow in your aerogarden there are still some plants that cannot be grown indoors using your aerogarden. For example, you don’t expect to grow, say, bananas or large pumpkins indoors. Some other plants you can’t grow in an aerogarden include plants that produce heavy leaves, fruits or very thick roots and even those that grow very tall and wild.
But the good thing is that you can always grow them for a start as seedlings and then transplant them outdoors when they have reached the stage when they can fully mature in larger ground.
It is advisable to read the accompanying manual in the aerogarden supply pack to know those plants that cannot be grown with your own aerogarden indoors.
Answers to frequently asked questions Aerogardeners have about planting in aerogardens
As an aerogardene9r, it is totally fine to have questions on your mind that you may need answers to. It shows that you really care about the whole aerogarden process and are willing to make the right choices. So, here are common questions aerogardeners ask about planting and the most accurate answer to each:
Do aerogardens grow herbs?
Yes, as a matter of fact, aerogardens grow herbs excellently and according to some experts, they do that even better than outdoor gardens. To benefit from this provision, you may only have to ensure a regular supply of water and essential nutrients once your herbs are planted.
Do aerogardens grow weeds?
Aerogardens, like all outdoor gardens, are very good when it comes to growing weeds. They have all the essential mineral salts and other plant nutrients you need to successfully grow your weeds and these are bountifully stocked in the devices.
Do aerogardens grow fruits?
Yes, you can comfortably grow fruits in your aerogarden. The best fruits to grow in your aerogarden are strawberries, eggplants, tomatoes and some smaller fruits. Have it in mind that fruits like strawberries prefer dry environments to grow better, so you may want to consider using this Aerogarden Grow Bowl for them. Also, they take longer to mature fully and be ready for harvest so you must be patient with them. With your aerogarden, you can ensure that you enjoy fresh fruits whether in season or not in season as long as you have the seeds.
What vegetables can you grow in aerogardens?
Most leafy vegetables can be grown in aerogardens as long as adequate care and attention are given to the plants as they grow. Examples of vegetables that can be comfortably grown in aerogardens are lettuce, spinach, tomatoes cucumber, salad and a lot more vegetables you can grow outdoors. You can rest assured that your need for almost all kinds of vegetables is taken care of all year long with your aerogarden.
How to grow plants in an aerogarden with organic nutrients
To ensure proper plant nutrition by way of making sure the nutrients circulate throughout the plants, they should first be dissolved in water which is then fed into the aerogarden pump for onward circulation throughout the plant. Whenever there is any shortage of these nutrients in the plants, you will get either a light or audio reminder for you to refill it up. By doing this constantly until you have your harvest, you are growing your aerogarden plants with organic nutrients and are guaranteed the best, fresh, nutritious plant produce at the end of everything.
What grows well and fast in an aerogarden?
Practically all vegetables and fruiting plants grow well and fast in an aerogarden, but some may grow faster than others by their natures. Some plants start to come out from day four and can grow so fast and good, they would be ready for harvest in no time.
It is known however that most vegetables take an average of between four to six weeks to fully mature and become ready for harvesting. Some plants even take less. This is an improvement over outdoor gardens where plants take longer to harvest.
Can you grow lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes and strawberries in an aerogarden?
Yes, all these can be grown quite comfortably with excellent yield in an aerogarden though they have different rates of growth and maturation. For example, of all these plants listed here, tomatoes and strawberries will take the longest time to mature. But eventually, they will all grow very well in good aerogardens. You are also supposed to plant each of these plants in seperate seed pods to avoid one interfering with the other, especially since they have different growth rates and times of maturation.
How to harvest lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries and cucumbers in an aerogarden
There is nothing much different in harvesting these plant products except that with leafy plants like lettuce, you are advised to start harvesting from the lower leaves and progress upwards.
With tomatoes and cucumbers, however, you should identify matured fruits through their colour changes and firmness before harvesting them. Note that, you are advised not to harvest more than one-third of the total weight of the plant at any given time.
Are the herbs, vegetables and spices grown in an aerogarden safe to eat?
As a matter of fact, herbs, vegetables and spices grown in aerogardens are safer to eat than others harvested from outdoor gardens. The reason is that when they come from an aerogarden, they are reputed to be free from all contaminants; from dirt, chemicals eg pesticides etc, and also more nutritious as they are well fed with nutrient-water and constant light all day long even in your absence.
The water used in nourishing plants in the aerogarden is carefully selected and from start to finish, aerogardens are in the confines of our homes for these reasons, the possibility of contamination is reduced to the barest minimum, if not eliminated. So, plant products grown in an aerogarden are in fact the safest to eat.
Can I transfer/transplant my aerogarden plants to the soil outside?
Yes, you can transplant your aerogarden plants to an outdoor or bigger garden space. Aerogardens can serve as nurseries, which are farms that serve as feeders to other garden plants. However, during the transfer of these plants, care must be taken to ensure that their roots are not unduly exposed which may trigger them to die off. Also, plants that are intended for transplanting should be done so without delay in the process. Preferably, they should be uprooted and transplanted at once without any time-lapse. This ensures their ultimate survival after transplanting.
How do you transfer/transplant plants from an aerogarden to the soil outside?
To successfully transfer plants from an aerogarden to an outdoor garden, you must:
- First, ensure that you carefully cut around any roots that may be holding it or tangling it up with other plants in your aerogarden.
- When it is free from any entanglement, gently pull the plants out from the seed tray. Do it carefully to ensure that they are not separated from their roots.
- It should be removed with extreme care to avoid ripping or having the roots break off. Take it out and have it re-planted in the new garden immediately without any delay. Delaying can cause you to lose them entirely. They could die off or rip in two.
- Thereafter, ensure that the plants in the new environment are adequately supplied with water and all other nutrients that will aid their survival, recovery and new growth.
How do you transfer/transplant plants from an aerogarden to pot soil indoors/outdoors?
If you are considering transplanting your aerogarden plants to the soil in a pot whether inside or outside your home, here are what you should do:
It’s advisable to let the water level in the unit get low so that the root of your plants can get used to staying in a drier environment. Have it in mind that they have stayed only in the water for a long time and moving them to a dry place like a pot soil may be new for the plants. Ensure the water is not too low that it would get the water light to turn red.
Next, trim the roots if there is an excessive amount of roots on the plants you want to transplant. It is best to do this two or three days before removing them from the unit to enable them to recover first.
Get the pot soil ready to receive the new plant. Add necessary fertilizer, water, nutrients and the rest of the things that would keep your plant growing once they are in there.
When you are ready to transfer the plants to the soil in the pot, carefully cut and remove the plastic basket and then place them into the pot soil.
Ensure you water the plant and add nutrients to help it recover.
If you are keeping the pot soil indoors, ensure you place it by the window where direct sunlight would get to it all day long. If you wish, you can get a good Grow Light & Stand and place it next to the pot to supply light to your newly transferred plants. Have it in mind that you would leave the grow lights on for at least 12 hours a day.
As long as you keep watering your plants, they are bound to recover and continue growing to provide you with bountiful yields.
How long does it take before aerogarden plants recover when transplanted?
There is no fixed time for recovery whenever plants are transplanted, especially since their survival hinges on several factors. Be that as it may, when plants are transplanted without delay and their roots are not mutilated or separated from one another, they are liable to recover in a matter of just days. This is especially true when they are kept in a constant supply of water and other essential nutrients after transplanting.
So, all necessary care must be taken to ensure the survival of plants during and after transplanting or the exercise may end up in a vain effort.
NB: If your main intention is to grow plants to a certain level on your unit and transplant them later, it is better to use the Seed Starting System Trays instead. This method can grow 2-3 times more plants, and they do not require plastic baskets to thrive. You can just grow your plants to about 1-5 inches and move on to transfer them elsewhere. There are trays for different models: click this link to get a tray for the farm model, this link for the harvest model’s tray. this link is to get the bounty tray and this one for the classic tray.
The best plants to grow in an aerogarden
Though most vegetable plants can be grown in an aerogarden, there are others too that you cannot grow indoors. Let us take a look at some of the plants that can thrive very well, and are the best plants to grow in your aerogarden:
- Herbs are the best things to grow in an aerogarden. They can be grown very well indoors with the use of aerogardens by simply using the correct settings, providing essential nutrients, LED lights and water.
- Similarly, you can also grow fresh green salads and kale, which are reputed to have a very fast maturity rate than most other plants.
- Bigger models of aerogardens such as the Bounty, for instance, are best to be used to grow plants like tomatoes and peppers, since they are known to have more growing space, and also provide more light and water too.
- Best of all, the aerogarden can be used to grow tasty vegetables like broccoli, lettuce, salad, cucumber and many more. They can serve as nurseries from where plants can be transplanted to outside gardens too, provided you have the seed pod kits.
- Flowers too can be planted in aerogardens such as Cauliflower, Rose flower, Petunias and many others as well.
A Review Of The Best Aerogarden Seed Packs (Set) To Plant
There are many types of aerogardens in the market such that you are assured of the flexibility of choice. Some units come with very good customer reviews that are worthy of your attention. To even make aerogardening a breeze, there are seed pod kits containing varieties of seeds you can plant and watch them grow in no time; providing the best of produce.
Aerogardening can be very easy especially if one has a reliable and tested supply of organic and non-GMO seeds, which are proven to both grow fast and resist destruction by common plant pests. For these reasons, let me introduce you to the best aerogarden seeds that enjoy global patronage and are sure to serve you reliably in every conceivable way, just to make your aerogardening a productive one. All these recommended products can be bought on Amazon through the links attached. The best of these seed pod kits include:
Aerogarden 6 Salad Greens Mix Seed
Salads need not come at a cost. With this salad green pack, you are guaranteed a long-time supply of salad from your aerogarden. Enjoy fresh salad recipes from your aerogarden with friends and family all year long without running out.
- The set includes 6 pre-seeded pods that include popular lettuce varieties: red/green leaf, romaine, and butterhead.
- This aerogarden seed kit guarantees you a hundred per cent retention of both plant flavour and freshness at all times.
- You also do not need pesticides or herbicides with this product because the seed pods have weeds and pests-resistant features.
- There are also multiple seed pods to enable you to grow different plants at once.
- It also includes a 3oz bottle of patented, specially formulated liquid nutrients, grow domes for optimal germination, and a growing guide with step-by-step instructions.
- They are all non-GMO seeds with no herbicides and no pesticides. You can harvest everything directly from your AeroGarden for the freshest salad possible.
- This aerogarden assures you of rapid plant growth with little or no supervision and high-quality non-GMO seeds that are always guaranteed to germinate when planted.
- It has a 100% germination rate which can grow in all AeroGarden models.
If you want to kick-start your aerogardening with the best seed pod collection, click this link to be taken to the Amazon page where you can find this seed pod kit. There you would see more about it, and read what others are saying before placing your order.
Make your home beautiful without spending much on artificial flowers or even spending a fortune or real-life flowers from the store. With these flower seeds, you can grow your own flowers at home in your aerogarden with ease. Gift your friends real flowers and let your home smell fresh with live flowers all over.
- It includes 7 pre-seeded colourful coleus flower grow pods.
- Non-GMO seeds with no herbicides and no pesticides. This guarantees you harvest plants directly from the aerogarden for use in your favourite vase/spots.
- It also includes a 3oz bottle of patented, specially formulated liquid nutrients, grow domes for optimal germination, and a growing guide with step-by-step instructions.
- A 100 per cent germination guarantee that can be used in all aerogardens.
- The Coleus has six seed pods that are reliable to enhance the germination of seeds using refined and very potent nutrients.
- Like most aerogarden seed kits of any distinction, the Coleus comes with seeds that are totally natural and non-GMO.
- The accompanying informative user manual assists you to avoid unnecessary mistakes in your gardening with these.
By clicking this link, you would be taken to the page on Amazon where you can learn more about it and also make your purchase.
With this seedpod set, you will receive a variety of 40 different vegetable garden seeds. They are so many and are all different that you must have use for them all. When you have this set, you are assured of a long time supply of fresh vegetables that would serve you for a long time. You will be getting 1 type of each and 2-3 of lettuce. Also, you will receive an average of 1 gram per strain and a link to the digital instruction book that would serve as the manual/guide for you.
- These seeds are known to be organic in nature and are non-GMO too. For this reason, there should be no fear of consuming modified food. This is because GMO seeds are hybrid products which eventually yield modified produce that may not be healthy for some persons that are allergic to them.
- Also, with these seeds, you are assured of their proper germination after planting in just a matter of days.
- They are also known to possess pest-resistant qualities which will ensure that you get a bountiful harvest.
- Their rate of growth is such that you will make harvests after harvests all year round.
- You will receive all the following: American flag leek, Arugula, Bean (Blue lake Bush, Ford Hook Lima), Beet, Detroit, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage (Golden Acres, Red Acre, Dutch), Cantaloupe, Hale’s, Carrots (Chantenay, Scarlet Nantes), Chives, Corn (Jimmy Red, Bodacious, Bilicious), Cucumber (Ashley, Boston Pickling), Dill bouquet, Eggplant, Black Beauty, Endive, Black Eye
Kale, Lettuce (Bibb, Iceberg, Mignonette, Buttercrunch, Paris Island), Oregano, Parsley, Pea, Green Arrow, Pepper (Chili, Anaheim, Ancho, Cayenne, Banana, Hungarian, Jalapeno, Habanero, Purple beauty, Pumpkin (Big Max, Sugar, Green Stripe, Connecticut), Radish, Cherry Bell, Rhubarb, Victoria, Rutabaga, Spinach (New Zealand, Noble), Squash(zucchini, Black beauty), Swiss Chard, Tomato (Ace 55, Purple Beauty, Roma, Jubilee, Red Cherry), Turnip, Watermelon and Crimson Sweet.
The product can be bought from Amazon through this link where you can find more information about it and see reviews before making your purchase.
If you are more interested in culinary and medicinal seeds for a herb garden, this seed pack is your best choice. There are 12 varieties and the seeds are all herbs and would germinate perfectly without any problems. In no time, you are already harvesting your herbs and reaping the benefits that come with having herbs.
- With these seeds, you are assured of hundred per cent germination and impressive growth rates provided the plants are supplied with enough water and vital nutrients.
- They, like most other aerogarden seeds, are organic and non-GMO which makes them safe for consumption by everybody.
- You do not have to fear destruction by plant pests since the seeds are resistant to all manner of attacks by pests.
- It comes with a gardening guide that includes detailed planting instructions, uses, and benefits of each herb.
- These seeds are 100% naturally grown and open-pollinated seeds with high germination rates that even exceed all government standards.
- Due to the impressive growth of the plants they germinate into, you are sure to make harvests much earlier than with other seeds of their kind.
- They are supplied under terms that will ensure you get a full refund or replacement in the case of any complaints, but be sure to adhere strictly to all the instructions in the supply packs.
- The seeds are known to provide herbs that are utilized in the production of medicinal substances which are used in treating various ailments in both humans and animals.
- You are getting 12 varieties of the most popular essential herbs which include Anise, Arugula, Basil, Chives, Cilantro, Cumin, Dill, Oregano, Parsley, Sage, Savory, and Thyme.
You can make this kit yours by clicking this link to check the product on Amazon and see all you need to know about it before placing your order.
Love flowers? Or just want to grow flowers for home decoration or just to reap its benefits, simply jump on this seed pack. It contains 23 wildflower varieties that would keep your home beautiful and relax your mind each time you cast a glance at them growing freely. You are sure to enjoy dazzling displays of colour and an easy-to-grow inexpensive seed pack.
- They come as a mixture of different seeds which invariably means that you can grow a variety of plants in your aero garden all at once.
- It contains 23 wildflower varieties that bloom all year long.
- The seeds are open-pollinated, all-natural, Non-GMO, and neonicotinoid-free and also grow everywhere.
- It comes with a step-by-step growing guide if you want to use it for outdoor gardens. It covers the process from prepping the land, and germination to harvesting flowers and seed saving.
- The seeds are all 2019 harvested seed stock that exceeds federal germination standards.
- The seeds have such an impressive growth rate that multiple harvests are possible throughout the year.
- With these seeds, you are assured to have a hundred per cent germination after planting.
- They are also known to possess pest-resistant qualities.
- Refund or replacement is assured in the event of any dissatisfaction.
- Like all aerogarden seeds, they are organic and also non-MGO which guarantees the safety of consumption.
- The flower seed you will get includes the following botanical names: Baby Blue Eyes Nemophila menziesii, Baby’s Breath Gypsophilia elegans, Baby Snapdragon Linaria maroccana, California Poppy Eschscholzia California, Chinese Forget-Me-Not Cynoglossum amabile, Cornflower Centaurea cyanus, Dwarf Sunflower Sunspot Helianthus annuus, Farewell-To-Spring Clarkia unguiculata, Four O-Clock Mirabilis jalapa, Globe Gilia Gilia capitata, Godetia Clarkia amoena, Indian Blanket Gaillardia pulchella, Lupine Lupinus, None-So-Pretty Silene Armeria, Plains Coreopsis Coreopsis tinctoria, Pot Marigold Calendula Officinalis, Queen Anne’s Lace Ammi majus, Red Poppy Papaver rhoeas, Rocket Larkspur Delphinium ajacis, Rose Mallow Lavatera trimestris. Scarlet Flax Linum grandiflorum rubrum, Sulphur Cosmos Cosmos sulphureus, Wild Cosmos Cosmos bipinnatus.
The product can be seen through this Amazon link where you can find out more about it and also make your purchase.
This is called a survival garden pack for a reason. With this seed pack, you can grow tons of fruits, and vegetables of 32 varieties with ease. They all have very good germination rates and even if you choose to stop buying vegetables from the store, you are covered with all the plants you can get from this pack.
- To start with, these 32-variety seeds like most other aerogarden seeds, are organic, all-natural, heirloom, non-hybrid and non-GMO.
- With these seeds, you are assured of very fast growth rates that will make multiple harvests throughout the season a reality.
- They are all 100% naturally grown and open-pollinated seeds with a high germination rate
- A vegetable-growing and seed-harvesting guide are included with seeds tested for maximum germination and yield.
- These USA seeds are stored in air-tight, moisture-proof, resealable bags for safer, long-term storage.
- These are carefully selected seeds and vegetable varieties that are made to provide a well-balanced and healthy diet.
- They have properties that make them unattractive to common plant pests.
- They are supplied under terms that are customer friendly.
- You are guaranteed of germination of all planted seeds in just a matter of days.
- The pack contains Tomato Beef Steak, Eggplant Black Beauty, Green Bean Tendergreen Improved, Zucchini Black Beauty, Lettuce Buttercrunch Butterhead, Lettuce Ruby Leaf, Lettuce Black Seeded Simpson, Brussels Sprouts Long Island, Bell Pepper California Wonder, Radish Cherry Belle, Okra Clemson Spineless, Beet Detroit Dark Red, Onion Evergreen Bunching, Cabbage Golden Acre, Corn Golden Bantam, Cantaloupe Hales Best Jumbo, Watermelon Sugar Baby, Kale Vates Blue Scotch, Lima Henderson, Swiss Chard Giant Fordhook, Cucumber Marketmore, Spinach Bloomsdale, Carrot Scarlet Nantes, Turnip Shogoin, Pumpkin Sugar Pie, Cauliflower Snowball Y, Pea Sugar Daddy, Broccoli Waltham, Winter Squash Waltham Butternut, Sunflower Mammoth, Parsnips All American and Celery Tall Utah Improved.
Simply click this link to be taken to the Amazon product page where you can find more information about it and also place your order.
Aerogardening is not quite the tiresome, dirty or stressful enterprise that most people think. In fact, you can grow plants of your choice indoors, as easy as it takes to wipe sitting room furniture, for instance. You can comfortably grow anything from the comfort of your home all year long and never run out of fresh produce. Just give it a try and you will be glad you did.
6 thoughts on “Can You Grow Anything In An Aerogarden?”
Pingback: Complete Safe List Of Aerogarden Plants & FAQs About The Plants/Seeds
Pingback: Useful Aerogarden Plant Hacks You Must Know - Aerogarden Info
Pingback: Full Comparison/Reviews Of 5 Models Of AeroGrow Aerogarden
Pingback: Are Plants Grown In Aerogardens Safe To Eat? - Aerogarden Info
Pingback: Everything You Should Know About Aerogarden Seedpods
Pingback: All About Aerogarden Grow Light: Q&A, Tips, Fixing & Purchasing